WINDHOEK, June 2 (Xinhua) -- Namibia's Rugby President Corrie Mensah on Tuesday said that the decision by Rugby Africa to cancel all competitions, including the Rugby Africa Cup, due to the COVID-19 outbreak is unfortunate and hopes the domestic league will resume after lockdown restrictions ease.
The Rugby Africa Cup is an annual rugby union tournament involving African nations organized by Rugby Africa. Namibia holds most of the titles at 8.
Mensah said in an interview with Xinhua that the decision did not come as a surprise as they had been in constant consultation via online meetings with other member federations over the past months.
The confederation held an extraordinary executive committee meeting on May 28, in which it expressed its desire to prioritize players' health above all else.
"We were supposed to commence with the Rugby Africa Cup with a game against Zambia on May 30," he said.
According to Mensah, not all was lost with the cancellation of the season, as the funds ring-fenced for the season will still be channeled to the rugby unions by the confederation and assist with the development of the sport.
"At the moment we do not know how much funds we will receive, but we will definitely use to kick start the local rugby season, which currently is idle due to the country's COVID-19 regulations," he said as he hopes that the restrictions will be eased when phase 4 commences in the country.