BAMAKO, Mali - Attacks on UN peacekeepers in the west African country of Mali are on the increase.
One member of the Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) was killed on Sunday while three others were injured when their convoy hit an improvised explosive device in Aguelhok, located in Kidal region in the north of the country.
The blue helmet who died in the attack was from Chad.
Earlier on Sunday unidentified assailants attacked a MINUSMA temporary operating base in Bandiagara in Mopti, a region in central Mali, which left a peacekeeper from Togo seriously injured.
UN Secretary-General Antnio Guterres has called on the Malian authorities, as well as the signatory armed groups to the 2015 peace agreement, to spare no effort in identifying the perpetrators of the attacks so that they can be swiftly brought to justice.
The Malian Government and two coalitions of armed groups in the north signed the peace deal in efforts to end conflict that had erupted in 2012.
The UN chief expressed his deep condolences to the family of the deceased peacekeeper, as well as the government and people of Chad, a statement issued by his spokesperson said. He also wished a speedy recovery to those injured in the attacks.
Mr. Guterres further underlined the UN's commitment to support the povernment and people of Mali in their pursuit of peace and stability.
Sunday's attacks on the UN follow simultaneous attacks on a Malian G5 Sahel unit position in Boulkessi and the Malian Armed Forces (FAMa) in Mondoro, in central Mali a little over a week ago.
Those attacks occurred only a few days after the 74th United Nations General Assembly, where security in Mali and the Sahel was given an important place on the agenda of several high-level meetings attended by Heads of State of the region.
"These acts of terror will not hinder the joint efforts of the Malian Government and its partners for peace and security. At a time when the government of Mali and its friends are pooling their efforts to overcome a security crisis with deleterious effects on the Sahel, these acts from another era cannot undermine our commitment and determination", Head of MINUSMA, Mr Mahamat Saleh Annadif said at the time.
Mr. Annadif also reiterated MINUSMA's strong commitment to implement the mandate it received from the Security Council. "The United Nations will spare no effort in supporting the G5-Sahel and the FAMa in their mission to fight terrorism. MINUSMA has provided the G5-Sahel Force with aerial support to strengthen its position in Boulkessi and has evacuated the injured," he said.